Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:27:02 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine repair or replacement?
Comments: To: Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM>

Hey Everyone,

I am considering all the options right now and have made no decisions as of yet.

Making a list of the costs if I do it myself.

If I leave the engine in place and just do the gaskets... can I do the heads as well if I leave the engine in the van?

Tools Ramps/Chuck to prevent rollback. Jacks Dolly

Parts - $120 for the Complete Gasket Set.

vs

Going to a local mechanic to do the gaskets which is $60 per hour for 11hrs = $660 plus or minus a couple of hours.

I also have been looking around at engines, since I cant afford anything fancy and nice from Bostig, Boston, Go Westy I trying to source good used engines.

I have one guy who has a inline 86 GTI engine with 80,000 miles that he drove for 2 years and converted himself. He wants $1200 for the entire conversion kit and it has 105 hp. I have another available engine from a Jetta 2.0 L for $450 but then I have to go through all the conversion process and have no idea of its history or reliability. Lastly since I am most likely moving to California the emissions is a big issue, so sticking with stock engine might be safer? Right?

I was considering doing a compression test on my engine but since the gaskets are leaking, its going to effect the results of the test and still wont really know the condition of the engine correct?

I figure I would take the heads off, check for the pitting and bad valves, if they are bad get new AMC heads. The question is where to get them from? Are the go Westy Tweaked ones worth it? BusDepot - New, 100% European made; not Brazilian Vanagon - AMC Made in Spain $475 each Go Westy - AMC Made in Spain but they are tweaked. Sounds like a better deal to me $500 each Van-Cafe -AMC Made in Spain $425 each OR - Rebuilt units for $325 with core exchange. Rebuilder builds up the areas that were originally prone to cracking with extra material to remedy that original weak point.

If I do the heads what other parts will be needed?

Also the temperature Guage on Gauges stopped working. I replaced the blue and black sensors 2 months ago. The fan on the radiator still goes on and off once in a while so I know that is still working fine. 2 weeks ago I pressed the sensor rubber caps in thinking something might be loose and the gauge worked for a day then stopped. I am not sure if the its the guage, loose wire, or possible the wire to sensor is damaged or the sensor is blown? Any ideas?

TIA for everyone's help during this difficult time of decisions. Truly, truly appreciated.

Rob Bloomingburg NY 347.731.7938 cell