Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:44:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adding Power Steering
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>

well said, and to add something else............ if you're adding PS to an 83.5 those never had PS as an option........ so it's necessary to add a small feature that 84's and later have..... which is two 'frame notches' on the inboard side of the frame member just below the filler neck....... so the PS pips can go between the fuel tank and the frame there.

you'll need the fuel tank out of course. if it's an 83.5 original waterboxer, you need to drill and tap three holes in the right head - the bosses are already there, for the Vanagon PS pump to mount to the right head. if it's a Subaru engine, no concerns there of course. have fun ! it's a great upgrade.

I suppose the full length hoses work. My first thought on that ............just does not seem as good as full length STEEL pipes. If you can get non-rusted stock vanagon power steering pumps..........I know that's what I would do for a PS conversion on any of my vans, or ones that I rebuilt and upgrade through out and sell - stock steel pipes, front to rear. If good ones can be found. And it's not that they are weak, but they sure don't stand up to 20 years of severe corrosion where they salt the roads in the winter. Someone should point out to the Insurance institute of America or whomever, that salt on the roads costs millions of dollars in car repairs, if not even loss of life now and then. in Oregon, fortunately, we have red volcanic cinder material to put on the snowy roads. Works great, and is totally non-corrosive. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Collum" <collum@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:07 AM Subject: Re: Adding Power Steering