Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:49:30 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are Today's Young People Mechanical Nitwits? (NVC) Fryeday

long long posts and threads deleted (since I read this thing from my blackberry half the time) and since I had to read the other's ramblings.. its time to dish out mine.. (hit N to skip long boring thread now..) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :-)

To answer that question.. I would have to say resoundingly *no*.

For kids in the city, their focus is on other things..

I'm 43 this year (a young whippersnapper compared to some of you old geezers on here ;-) and I watch with envy as my 8 year old blasts through 100 levels of a nintendo DS game, that I take twice as long to learn. Or watch/listen as the kid (with perfect pitch) can name all the notes, chord progressions and sit down at the piano, transposing music on the fly. I never had the type of training he is getting (Yamaha music school, Suzuki method) we couldnt afford something like that when I was his age. Piano lessons by the local Bible Church's ministers wife were as good as it got for me, and that old bitty wouldnt let me play Scott Joplin 'ragtime' music at the recital since it was held at the church.. BAH..

Too many things vying for ones attention these days I think?

Do your teenager (son) a favor. Make his first car an old VW bug. While not the 'safest' vehicle out on the road, he'll learn a ton having to 'keep it alive'

I didnt really learn what all was involved with cars, engines and the like until I went that route between high school and through my college years.

Hibbard's Baja Bugs and Buggies.. and Muir's 'How to keep your VW alive' were my guides back then. Never went the bus route, but should have, would have been fun.

Fastforward 20+ years now I have the money, but not the time so I do pay the 'experts', as long as the so called 'experts' are willing to work with me and understand my engineering background and my innate DNA that drives me to understand, ask 'why' and really learn how things work.

I think the OP and others have it all wrong here.. some of the young guys at Doug's Bugs and Bunnies in Mesa AZ are the best mech's in town. I've witnessed it first hand On Friday's after the shop closes.. they hang out, drink a beer or two and other folks start showing up in bugs, busses, rabbits, GTI's and the like.

Begs the question.. why is there always a guy named "Fish" in the local cool (insert your hobby/vice here) shop

In Phx. alone I know a "Fish" at Cactus Bikes (Mtb shop) "Fish" at Doug's B&B and a Russ "Fish" Walling that makes/sells climbing gear. Actually Russ and his squeeze Susan live in Joshua Tree CA. but I digress..

That's why stories like the GM Volt one I just posted are uplifting to me. Real engineering still taking place in this country.

Helped my parents move a couple of weeks ago into the city from the country. It was a bit of a chore (in a good way) educating him on over the air HDTV and generally being wiring, a/v, tv computer guy for him and my mom. Heck they're out of practice,.. they've been in the same place for 50 YEARS! :-)

We setup a nice UHF antenna in the attic and dumped their 300lb Zenith CRT (early HDready) set on Craigslist. Picked up a cheap Vizio LCD set at SamsClub for the upstairs, then with their budget in mind went *BIG* TV shopping. Settled on a Mitsu 65" DLP (again, you can replace the bulbs/lamps yourself!?) for the basement.

Not the best/brightest, (that would be the 60" Pioneer KURO plasma BTW :-) but the biggest that filled the space and they could afford.

It was pretty satisfying to see those 11 local OTA HDTV stations come in and pop right out of that 65" set and my Father do the WTF look..

"You mean they've been broadcasting this stuff for the past year or so already?" :-)

Dad got his GED after coming back from Korea (he skpped out of school when 17 to join up, and promptly landed in a Chinese prison camp for 18+ months) talk about a rude awakening! He went on to work as a local town policeman, then as a security guard for Beech Aircraft in Wichita, KS

His father (Grandpa Schneider) worked as a wiring harness electrician on the assy. line at Boeing. He had one of the first televisions, running from a 'windcharger' tied to a bank of batteries. Old radio repair manuals, boxes of popular mechanics interspersed with an occasional girly mags from the 40's 50's (those relatively tame ones?) early 1900's telephone generators, (yes, Grandpa used to use the thing to 'fish' with at the local lake.. two wires overboard, crank it up, and watch the stunned fish float to the surface.. ingenuity in the Great Depression :-) All this made for a great tinkering childhood for me and we technically didnt live on the farm, but just out in the country.

The elctronic/electrical engeering/tech thing skipped a generation but I recall Dad never being afraid to fix/work on anything, stubbornly so at times.

Part of the 'stuff' (junk if you will) that I got to bring back was Grandpa's old Zenith 5-2-29 'tombstone' vacuum tube radio (a 1936 model) I recal as a 10-12 yr old hooking the antenna up to the bedroom window screen and pulling in the atomic clock, morse code, voice of america and the bbc broadcasts on the shortwave band. Very cool and strange stuff for a kid, formative stuff that made me want to know 'how it all works!'

Now I get to work on restoring the beast, and reading up on how 8VSB (8 vestigial side band broadcast HDTV) works..

Never stop learning, whatever you do, it's a fundamental part of being a human and being 'alive'.

With all that in mind.. who has time to 'wrench' on their Vanagon? there are too many other things to do/learn! ;-)

-tim

90 Syncro Westy Gilbert, AZ http://www.timschneider.org