Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:59:23 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: First camping trip!
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Patti,

As everyone here will attest, I have been known to get obsessive about some mechanical (or pneumatic) aspect of Vanagons more than once. Others of you (you know who you are) may know that you are sometimes too careless, too willing to deny that that "funny sound" (or fitful orange flickering) in the engine compartment could possibly be an indication of impending doom. The middle way, I am convinced,* is the path to happiness in Vanagon camping. One cannot predict and prepare for all emergencies, so prepare for those easily prepared for and leave the others to chance. Don't sweat the little stuff, but don't spend a lifetime preparing for the asteroid strike either.

I guess the bullet point I'm hoping you'll take home is: After preparing about as well as you can prepare w/o popping a gasket, then load the gear, check the credit card, fire 'er up, and head on out. Let life dictate the rest.

(A lesson I continue to forget so I can enjoy learning again.)

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer: Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR