Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:11:46 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      quick trip report

recently returned from 2 week vacation in south central BC. Husband, wife, 12 year old son, 2 large dogs, canoe and 3 bikes in/on vanagon westy (82 diesel, gas conversion).

We stayed first 3 nights at Manning Park (Lightning Lake) to unwind... Weather was hot, too hot to hike so most of the time spent reading or canoeing. I have said before and I will say again, for all its popularity, Manning Park is still a gem. One can get away from the other campers by just going that extra 10 minute walk.

From Manning we headed through Princeton to Kentucky-Alleyne prov. park. Again a popular and busy site, but it has old sentimental value and was good for one night's stay and a lot of swimming to cool off.

From K-A we went through Merritt, stopping for supplies (usually we stop at "books of merritt" to restock on reading material, but the location was vacant. Enquiring at a coffee shop resulted in a puzzled look from server, I don't think books were any sort of priority for her).

Then on to Kamloops, stopping at Surplus Herbies, son bought a 1916 model Swiss Army helmet. Wore it in the van, got looks :)

From Kamloops west to Cache Creek, then north to Loon Lake turn-off, past Loon Lake and finally at Scot Lake. First time we were there was 8 years ago, nice little lake, good fishing. Over the years we have seen the progression of pine beetle damage, this year the lodgepoles in the forestry campsite had been cut down, campsite looked pretty desolate. But we camped up on a wooded hill that still had lake access. Weather turned grey and cold, stayed 2 nights then decided to go west to the Chilcotin. We passed through 100 Mile House, stopping for supplies.

I've been to 100 mile quite a few times, starting in the 80's doing the Caribou marathon (X-C skiing). But god, it sure hasn't gotten any better over the years. I have to say it is a hole. But, in the supermarket parking lot, I met a Swede with a very nice Volvo Lapplander (6 wheel version). We talked, he plans to immigrate to the area and has 11 Lapplanders and is going to start a rental biz. Interesting idea, and boy oh boy, is his Lapplander a lust worthy thing. Was a radio truck and he raised the back enough to stand in. Camperised and very capable (like a slightly larger Pinzgauer).

That evening we ended up at little Big Bar lake, another old fav. Again all the trees down, and the access road improved enough to allow a bus type RV in. Arghh, generator, not so much fun. One night there and we headed back to Scot lake, weather had changed, hot and windy, we spent rest of vacation there (up on hill campsite), really having fun.

I'll post some equipment reviews soon (shady boy awning, battery separator, bike rack, dot- it lights, newest home-made grill, etc)

Alistair '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/