Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:17:53 -0700
From:         sam mccarthy <sfcompost@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 21 Aug 2008 - Special issue (#2008-910)

For those of you looking for "kits" for installing VW inline fours, the only place I've seen the closest thing to it is from a firm in Montclair Ca. that imports parts from Germany and sells them on Ebay. They consistently offer the oil pan, bell housing, input shaft, oil pump pickup tube, engine mounting hardware and a few other things as a package for $450. These parts  are from Diesel or turbo diesel vanagons, and allow any VW inline four including the TDI 1z or AHU  engine up to about year 2000 to bolt into the vanagon. At some point VW changed the castings of the inline fours such that the oil pan and motor mounts no longer match the diesel vanagon parts. I'm not sure what camp the 1.8 turbo four falls into. But Whoever mentioned it is right on. These little engines are powerful and efficient and plentiful. Other parts you will need include engine coolant hoses from a diesel vanagon or make a custom set. Coolant hose sets new are very pricey but are available used on Ebay from Germany as well. The shop in Sacramento that installs the 1.8t into the vanagon is Stephans Auto Haus. I don't know anything about them so cannot attest to the quality of their work. I am selling a 81 westy with a 1994 Jetta 2 liter four conversion that will need some light rear body work, and paint, in Santa Fe.  Pmail if you want more details

Sam M

--- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:11 PM Subject: Re: sorry, i need a conversion kit to put a 1.8 or 2.0 golf engine in my 84 van