Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:42:05 -0500
From:         Andrew Philbrick <herrschildkrote@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drip, drip drip from 2l1 oil cooler.
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Hey Jim,

Is it leaking oil or coolant? When I replaced my oil cooler, coolant came from the rubber lines and oil came from the case.

If it is oil you are leaking, my first guess is that the seal between the engine case and the oil cooler is the cause. I remember that seal being a bit of a pain to get in correctly so make sure the seal is seated well. Also, the oil cooler is really easy to dent so check to see if there are any small dents that may allow oil to get through.

As for the job, coolant will come from the lines and oil from the case so be prepared for both to leak onto you. I suggest draining the oil and plugging the coolant hoses to minimize the amount leaked. The way the oil cooler is held on is by the nut on the center shaft. If your jam nut does not work, don't sweat. You could just get a socket to that bolt and take the whole shaft out. That way, you can free the nut from the shaft when you are not under the van.

Hope this helps, Andrew

Jim Felder wrote: > I'm really happy with the way my 2.1 rebuild is running in my 90. But > of course, there's one more thing wrong so I can't drive it. > There is a drip coming from the bottom "corner" of the oil cooler. > Hoses look dry (they're new) and I can't see anything leaking from > them. I have another part to swap in. I can tell it's tight but > possible. I have another nut to use for a jam nut to get the pipe out > if that will help. > > Anything I should know before I start this awful job? > > Jim > >