Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Aug 2008 06:49:09 -0700
From:         Lee Kirstein <leekirstein@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AAA Towing - WAS RE: Trip Contingencies
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@hotmail.com>

I do some AAA work for a friend of mine. In the end, the driver has the final call and always has the right to refuse service.

If I were you, I would try and get the number to the company that will be towing you and call them as soon as you call AAA.

Let them know the situation and they will make sure situation i shandled correctly....

The problem is the drivers only have small computer screen. So you talk to the dispatcher, then they type in a summary. So there is some miscommunications sometimes.

If there's a worry, call AAA and see who will be towing you, then give them a call...

Thanks,

Lee

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 4:51 AM, Richard Golen <rgolen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've NEVER had a problem with AAA towing my 87 Westy. They've done it > twice. Both times on the phone I requested they send a flat bed. Both times > they complied. Both time told AAA its a VW Vanagon, no questions asked car, > truck or RV. They showed up. > > The first time was on the way home from Busses by the Bouy in 2006. Just > after crossing the NH/MA border I noticed "liquid droplets" on the rear > window. A minute later the coolant light went on. Hole in the coolant pipe > beside the 3/4 cylinder head. Got towed home 205 miles. I have AAA Plus > which has a 200 mile maximum distance per tow. Driver marked the receipt 200 > miles. > > The second time was this past June coming home from Boston Bob's with the > new stage 2 engine in the back. Same old "liquid droplets" on the rear > window followed by the coolant light. This time it was at the top of Rt 24S > just off of 128 outside of Boston at the beginning of rush hour. AAA was > there within 20 minutes. We were rolling home 12 minutes after arrival. > > No problems with AAA up here in Massachusetts, not sure where you are if > AAA is different. > > BTW, when the new engine went in all hoses (fuel and coolant) and plastic > coolant pieces in the engine compartment were replaced..... > > Ric > > > > > > > Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 19:08:45 -0700 > > From: oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM > > Subject: Re: Trip Contingencies > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > > On Aug 23, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Michael Diehr wrote: > > > > > * having the AAA with premium tow package was reassuring > > > > > > But, you have to (1) argue with AAA each time you phone for a tow that > > you are asking for a tow for an *RV* and not a mere car. Then you > > have to (2) argue again with the tow-truck driver (who could be out-of- > > pocket $200 if he misjudges this) that you are having an *RV* towed > > and not a car. Ask us how we know* ... :-( > > > > The magic words we've found are: (a) it has a sink (b) it has a > > stove (c) it has a refrigerator (d) it has a sleeping area. > > > > My next campaign is going to be to persuade AAA to provide us with a > > written document that yes, indeed, our Westy is the vehicle covered by > > our RV premiums. > > > > > > *the bad news is, we're not camping this weekend. The good news is, > > we didn't have to persuade a tow truck to come out to Indian Flats > > campground to tow us to the repair shop. > > > > > > B&S > > '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' > > SoCal > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with > Windows(R). > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588800/direct/01/

-- Lee