Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:41:14 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      PS lines

It is possible to go from the Subie or VW pump to the PS rack with AeroQuip lines and reusable ends. You do not need the stock hoses hard or soft. I have done this to many stock and converted vans. Depending upon your choice of line is will run approx. $350-$550.00. Talk to your local rep. They have many different metric fittings available.

Gas line Brake line PS oil cooling remote oil filter all possible with the AeroQuip products.

dylan

----- Original Message ---- From: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 4:17:15 AM Subject: Re: Adding Power Steering

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM, James Henry <jch@jchgis.com> wrote:

> The question came up today on the Subaru Conversion list about adding a > Power Steering rack to an early (83.5, 84, 85) vanagon. I thought I would > ask here as well. Anyone had experience in adding a ps rack. Can you > outline > what is involved? > > Thanks > > Jim Henry > Durham, NC > 84 Westy

Mike has already outlined what you need. I added PS to my 88 Doublecab with a 2.1 WBX motor. Adding it to an 84 with 2.2 EJT.

Let me add that you need the Subaru PS pump and pieces of the Subie pipes to connect to the VW pipes or hoses depending on which way you intend to add the lines. I have access to complete parts vans so it was much easier to add everything as they came from VW with the exception of the Subie bits which I got from Leon Korkin.

You did not mention what engine you have in your van. I assumed you were talking about Subaru power since you mentioned reading about it on the Subie List. On the later 2.1's you do not need to worry about the "goodies" to boost idle as mike mentions. The ECU seems to take care of that. As for the early 1.9 vans, you can always boost the idle yourself with judicious application of the gas pedal.=)

Regards,

BenT