Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:06:21 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      brief trip was excellent this weekend
Comments: To: wetwesties wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Greetings -

friday morning saw us back on the island again - a reprise of the trip made tuesday - not really - this one more leisurely - tuesday was a work inspired slide over to qualicum to attend a safety conference we took a short side trip tuesday evening to deposit some travelers in campbell river as it was raining and dropping them seemed less then westie -

so friday morning we caught the first ferry over to the island cause i had a cat scan booked for the afternoon in comox once that was over we headed down to nanimo so we could visit with some friends of ours there - they were not home - went for supper at gina's mexican http://vancouverisland.kulshan.com/British_Columbia/Vancouver_Island/Nanaimo/Restaurants/Gina's_Mexican_Cafe.htm very well fed and a little at loose ends - so we went over to gabriola island friday night and stayed at Pages resort (about 20$+tax ) www.pagesresort.com<http://www.gabriolaisland.org/webpage.asp?PAGENAME=listofMembers#>at http://www.gabriolaisland.org/GICC/home.htm went to sleep amidst the soundscape of deer rutting and owls hooting... woke and showered in what was hands down the most powerful coin op shower we have had the pleasure of in some time - met another westie owner who had an 82 diesel that had been converted into a jetta gas powered / also met a couple who had a car and a tent / she wants a westie (they were in tofino tuesday - big rain) we then went to the *Raspberry's Jazz Cafe **Roger* *Christie *8-575 North Road, Gabriola Island, BC V0R 1X0 where we met up with hugh fisher a local musician - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=45179292 and can you believe it- in the hour plus we spent talking i never once asked him how his new guitar is preforming ... grrr - we were on galiano as a lark and the day passed so well ... we certainly need to spend more time there - it is the first time i have ever gone to gabriola with out an agenda my wife loved the place and wants to return then we went back to namimo where we had the best telus/ retail experience ever ... wow thanks Micheal at Tom Harris

then we went to watch a move (step brothers) dont bother unless you are 16 and/or like fart jokes; balls jokes; etc etc etc ...

off to nanimo lakes road to see if any of the gates were open - drove a long ways down the road when my sweetie says ... can we simply stop .. so we pulled off at a logging road that was only deactivated rather than gated

by 5 am it was raining so hard ... pounding rain which made for a wonderful late morning sleep when we woke my wife says ... I sure do love our westie ...

searched for some specialized roasted coffee along the way - http://www.creekmorescoffee.com/ filled our boots and then sped off down the island highway

had to keep checking my speed cause the 5 speed diesel keeps creeping up over 140kph as we cruise along - millage estimated to be down a little from the 1.6 boastings ... averaged closer to 30 MPG rather than the terrific 35-40 MPG estimated when running the 1.6

there was one small downer - and that was mostly in my head - but had a bases in reality - just outside of cumberland there was a 68 westie with lots of flowers painted on the side parked on the shoulder of the freeway i pulled over to see if they were in need of help - they were simply discharging the rider cause the owner of the westie wanted to turn back to home - the rdriver says no they did not need help but the passenger says he needs a ride to nanimo so he can catch the ferry back to vancouver- some how in the happy to see a newer westie smiles we agreed that he could ride with us - along the way he relates that he is really a street person who makes his way by dumpster diving (no worries- it takes all types) he then goes on to relate how he just spent the weekend at a local rendition of burning man - and it had been really excellent because he found 250$ on the ground and a- large chunk of resinous substance not unlike that which comes from a broad leaf plant commonly grown in middle eastern countries - (now worries) suddenly my mind filled with images of us being pulled over - my wife is here on a visitors permit - i am sponsoring her - suddenly we are in grave danger - if this guy we are extending charity to has anything in his pack or life that is un law full then we are all in big shit - fortunately we made it to the ferry terminal with out incident - but i can tell you it will be a clod day in havana before i let another rider in to my van with out asking them if they have any reason to fear law enforcement - a simple act of charity could have risked my entire dream life- westy -wife and all would have been seized and sweetie would have been deported -

for those who are pooh poohing my thoughts as paranoid delusions - well carry on in your own my friend - but try not to risk the happiness of others with your thoughtlessness - by the time the dust would have settled and innocence established - months if not years would have transpired this is the second time in my life i have been "tricked" into giving a ride to someone of "dubious intentions" the first time i simply pulled over and let that guy out right on the highway- it is my hope that i will not be duped again -

the vanagon preformed flawlessly ;) and another 250+ miles plus was logged with out incident

so nice- yours

-- roger w There are two kinds of jobs in the world: Picking up garbage and telling people things. Successful people do both, with the same good attitude. (riw) ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364