Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:13:58 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Replacement or Gasket Fix?

The good news is that I replaced the entire exhaust with an S&S system and new exhaust bolts I got from Ken at Vanagain.

I just had him send me a Gasket Kit as well. When the van overheated it started to melt the connecting ends of the thermostat housing so I got a new one of those too.

I checked my records and the Engine was rebuilt at 175,000 miles (minus the 236,000 on it means it was 61,000 miles since the rebuild), the Heads and Gaskets were replaced 6 years ago by the 2nd previous owner/mechanic. Now what I don't know is what the details were on the engine rebuild. I was going to try and call the previous owners to find out.

I considered doing a compression test, but was told by the mechanic due that crack in the gaskets it would not give an accurate reading. I assume this is true?

Would there be any benefit to having the mechanic do anything to the engine while the gaskets were being installed if he did the work? i.e. lifter or valve adjustments?

Does anyone know of a place on the east coast that would machine the heads if it is necessary? I have been asking around they tell me that most of those shops closed up years ago around here.

I found one shop about 15 miles away, its a nice new big shop, never used them before. They told me it would be $74 an hour and they do have a local person who can machining of the heads if necessary. They seem much more professional than any of these other guys. Its a huge new shop that is in a metal hanger with like 8 lifts in it, very clean. If I used them lets say is was 15 hours @ $74 = $1110 labor

Optionally I got lead on used engine for $1200 with newly reconditioned heads and gaskets from a shop in MD. VWjoe@compuserve.com had an ad on Samba that someone here pointed me towards (thanks to that person), anyway he has a full service shop and said I could either have the engine shipped or he could install it at his place. All his heads are reconditioned as new.*

Thoughts?