Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:29:42 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: Late Vanagon Speedometer needed]

Hi Joel,

It's a ticketable offence under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act; the book of rules governing the province where I live.

My wife's ex employer once tried to tell us it was legal to operate a school bus with a broken speedometer, and we looked it up. Then they were suddenly able to find a spare bus for her to drive for the day.

Would the police be able to test it without driving the vehicle? I doubt it. Although the Ministry of Transport does have portable dyno's that they use sometimes for on-the-spot smog testing; I bet you'd be caught if they threw you on one of those.

My bus is a standard, so I could still drive to the tach if I wanted to, but given the choice I'd just as soon have as much instrumentation active as possible.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca

joel walker wrote: >> OK, I tried fixing my odometer over the weekend but it's still not >> working. Luckily the speedo is working OK, so I am legal for the >> time being. > > ok, this has made me start thinking ... which, i know, is kinda > dangerous at my age. ;) > > but not trying to be funny or anything, and since it is about vanagon > speedometers (sorta) ... > > does anyone know for sure ... and i mean for certain ... > that a working speedometer is required by law?? > > fer real, now. > > i mean, if the state you live in has annual inspections, do they > actually test the speedometer? > how? > > and if, like me, the state you live in does not have inspections, how > would the police know that your speedo didn't work (unless you happen > to mention it)? and if you did mention it, is that a ticketable > offense? > > in 51 years of driving, i can't recall ever hearing of anyone being > ticketed for having a non-working speedo. brakes, lights, tail lights, > brake lights, bad tires, leaking gas, no bumpers, no doors (that was a > hoot), no windshield (never did figure that one out), and even no > wipers. but never no speedo. > now, going over the speed limit, yes, definitely. but that's always in > the judgement of the police or their radar unit. more often than not, > their judgement. > > so does anybody know? > > no problem if you want to wait til Fryedaye to reply ... but if i > don't get it out when i think of it, i'll forget it. :( > > unca joel >