Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:33:20 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Header bolts broken
Comments: To: cullberly@VERMONTEL.NET

Metric hardware is not rated by grade, but by property class. The common classes are 5.8, 8.8, 10.9, 12.9, and some real special stuff is 14.9. Yes the exhaust studs are most liklely 5.8 or 8.8. Almost all repalcment studs are 5.8 unless you go for a better spec.

Twist offs are the hardest to remove since it will be difficult to get a drill bit started. Get an air grinder or Dremel and grind the end smoth and use a good sharp punch to get a center dimple. Start with a 1/16" bit ans work you way up. Be very carefull not to break the bit. A small right angle air drill and removing accesrories will allow you to get in there. If you are carefull and lucky you may be able to drill out the old botl and use a standard tap to clean out and repair the hole. If you need to heli coil, the new exhaust can e set in place and used as a guide. There is no need or benifit to extra lenght or double inserts. The single coil will be more than adequate to hold the bolt in place especially if using stainless. Note how the heli coil lenght is almost the same as a nut.

IF goiing for Stainless hardware, look for 316 (A4). It performs slightly better than the 18-18 (A2). Stainless to Stainless connections always need a nickel based anit seize or maybe loc tite as a lubricant to keep the threads from galling.

Dennis