Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:00:21 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wrap exhaust pipes with fiberglass?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I wonder how effective coating the inside of the pipes with a ceramic coating actually is.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > good advice on the not wrapping them. > ( and that was all baloney , especially the part about it getting hot > and 'loosing compression.' ) > > what I get super fine results out of .............for preserving the > exhaust pipes at almost no cost....... > I clean them, like hit them with a power wire brush.........like a > hand held disc grinder, but with a wire brush on it........ > or even a small hand held wire brush to get in the small areas.. > - Then I just paint them with silver high temp exhaust paint in a > spray can. > They stay 'light gray' and not rusty for quite a long time that way. > the brand I use, Dupli-Color claims to have ceramic something in it, > and be good for up to 1,.200 degrees F. > Sure works plenty good for not a lot of effort or expense for me ! ( > comes in red too, but silver is what looks right - it turns to light > gray once cured ) > Scott > turbovans > > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 7:10 AM > Subject: Re: Wrap exhaust pipes with fiberglass? > > >> Bad Idea! Wrapping exhaust. >> >> The aft end of the Vanagon was designed and engineered to deal with the >> heat of combustion and to get rid of it. The exhaust pipes hanging in >> the breeze act as radiate heaters and transfer the heat to the passing >> air when moving. At idle, there is not that much heat produced. We - men >> - and Vanagons are much alike. Things hang out for cooling purposes. >> It's a good system and it works. Tape it all up tight and you will get >> heat damage of a different sort. Instead of excess heat radiating, the >> contained heat will cook things from the inside out. Believe me, your >> don't want your tubes cooked - on your Vanagon or otherwise.Rot sets in, >> and repair is difficult at best and in some cases the only thing that >> can be done is to remove them. >> >> John Rodgers >> 88 GL Driver >> Chelsea, AL >> >> Mark Hersh wrote: >>> I was in Harbor Freight buying X-treme Tape (on sale for 3.99 USD till >>> 8/25, BTW, save $1) and I mentioned to a guy in that aisle that it got >>> high marks from folks on the Vanagon list serv. >>> >>> He said he used to own a Vanagon and said I can reduce heat in the >>> engine compartment by 70% if I: >>> >>> Wrap the exhaust pipes (engine block to the cat) with fiberglass >>> (using some kind of high-temp fiberglass stuff), securing with >>> stainless steel wire, which in time will bond the whole shebang >>> together. That helps to send the heat out the exhaust and, as the >>> exhaust pipes will no longer act as radiators into the engine >>> compartment, reduce engine overheating, heat stress on electrical >>> components. >>> >>> I guess I can see the reduction of waste heat part in a general sense, >>> but I am puzzled about the engine overheating part. I'd think that a >>> properly running Vanagon's cooling system will keep the block and >>> heads cool enough that the hot exhaust pipes won't add that much to >>> their heat load... >>> >>> He made a particular point about engine overheating, saying, after a >>> long trip, you slow down, engine overheats, you lose compression, >>> etc... and that this will fix all that. >>> >>> My guess is that if that fixed or improved something for him, then he >>> had something else wrong with his van. But I smiled and thanked him, >>> as I wanted to beat the traffic home. >>> >>> Thoughts from the collective brain power of the list? >>> >>> Mark, "one week till road trip!" >>> >>> -- >>> 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty" >>> >>> Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, >>> regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at >>> http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ >>> >>> >>> > > >