Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:59:14 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Who is the Manager of this list?
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

At 10:38 AM 8/27/2008 -0700, David Kao wrote: >Your right they are not programs. Gota be careful using terms >without thinking.

:-)

>I like Yahoo or Gmail for one very important reason. I can see >all my mails from any computer from anywhere. Pop emails for me >is only done when I store emails off and away.

Aye. That's why I forward from attglobal to gmail. If I'm travelling without the laptop I can send and receive mail anywhere there's a connection, and still retrieve it from the POP server when I get home. *With* the laptop I have something like 125,000 Vanagon posts archived. And with Eudora I can search up to five ANDed (or ORed) terms, even using regular expressions if I want. It's not SQL, but compared to the pitiful searching in gmail or yahoogroups it's amazing.

>Posts of a list or a forum should stay in where the list or forum >is. It does not make good sense the list has to broadcast everything >it receives to everyone on the list.

Why ever not? The list sends strictly text. The median size of the last 9,000 msgs is 5 kbytes, and I suspect the mean is 4. The single largest msg is 23k, and there are only 60 larger than 12 K.

Trusted sender, same way as you distinguish web traffic. Your filter takes all the stuff that's sent from vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com and throws it in the V-list folder. Anything from listserv@ gerry.vanagon.com goes into a list-management folder.

>Bottom line is emails are emails. Accessing a forum via emails >is the old way but not necessarily a good way. A web based forum is >superior to a list platform in almost every perspective, if not >all.

With respect, I have to differ here. I think the IMDB website and message fora work well and are very appropriate for the purpose, especially with email notification of replies to your postings. But they have individually very low message volume on many thousands of subjects. Here is the opposite situation, very large message volume on one subject -- Vanagons and the people who love them.

> All posts stay in where the forum is. It doesn't bother you >with hundreds of emails (they are posts not emails) to your mailbox.

David, that's what filters are for. I have over 100 filters that a message has to pass before it gets dropped in my inbox. Roughly 40 of those are for mailing lists (including dual-interface lists like yahoogroups where most of my lists reside).

>Go to the forum when you want to read, post and react to the forum. >It is only one URL or a bookmark away.

I have no problem at all with there being a web interface to the list. Just so long as I don't have to use it. Web interfaces are slow slow slow; I don't have enough breaths left in this lifetime to waste them waiting for pages to load. And it's not that I have a slow connection...

I do think that a web-based repository for photos would be a valuable service.

I can understand how tough it is for changes. I am sure some people >are still using Windows 3.1 on Intel 486 systems. It is so dam hard >to move to anything newer.

Tsk tsk tsk. I don't think you're reading the responses from mailophiles carefully if that's what you think.

Cheers, David

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"