Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:30:46 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaky vent on Propane Shutoff valve?
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com>

At 02:44 PM 8/27/2008 -0400, pickle vanagon wrote: >When you say the upper end of the flue/intake system, do you mean >the part that is up at the whole the the body of the van?

Yes. The leak could be anywhere in the flue/combustion-chamber/drain system, but to get the fridge out and back in again you have to mess with and put stress on the upper end. But make sure your drain plug is tight before you start taking things apart!

> I don't believe I have any o-rings there at all. I don't > remember any from when I took it apart and put it back together.

You won't see them unless you go looking. The two corrugated tubes of the intake/flue each have a large O-ring where they enter the aluminum top fitting, sealing them to the fitting. Pull the fitting off, clean the inside if needed, seal and/or replace the rings if they're not in perfect shape.

> Where are these o-rings? And can you clarify for me what you mean > by the inner and outer fittings? I'm having trouble picturing it > right now (and, unfortunately, it

Inner fitting is aluminum with two coaxial holes; the inner one is broomstick-sized, very convenient for aligning. The outer fitting attaches with three machine screws; IIRC it's a fairly simple plate, probably aluminum, and it sandwiches the rubber base/gasket. In principle I don't see why it should care whether it seals to the body or not, but in practice I've found it to work better. Out of superstition I even sealed the intake/uptake separator plate to the flue, which I'm rationally sure has no bearing on the situation. Likewise with the need to closely align the fitting before securing it -- it may be that that's really an O-ring issue; although it's also important to not put a lot of stress on the screws because they'll pull the threads out of the aluminum fitting.

David

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"