Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:48:39 -0700
From:         Bill MacLachlan <billmacla@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      shifting- repost

Hi all.. apologies if I'm wasting band width here this is a re post tbecause I had a message rejected reply from the listserv.

here is the text that may or may not have got through.....

here's the situation: new tranny. good shape. full confidence in it. drive for an hour or two, freeway/town, come back into home. Go to shift down to second to turn a corner and.....can't find it. Try a couple of times. Shift to third, back to second and there it is. phew.

It's an 82 diesel with a gas I4 in it. I'm thinking the shift linkages are worn/tired/out of whack.

Has anyone replaced these linkages? They are the same as the aircooled linkages, yes? Has anyone adjusted these linkages? Am I the only person out there in early vanagon land that has had this problem?

any/all comments observations welcome..... because right now I don't trust the van to consistently drive 20 miles.

Bill M vancouverBC