Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:21:12 -0400
From:         W Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Planning cross country trip next spring
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@gmail.com>

I need to clarify that we plan on spending three weeks traveling West then at the end of three weeks,taking turns driving,sleeping in hotels when needed, only stopping for sleep and potty breaks till we get home. Hopefully that will only take a few days. The kids will stay behind with their grandparents to continue traveling for a few more weeks,but I will need to get back to work. Not being retired or college student I can't take a few months to travel. To many responsibilities to deal with including finances,house,pets,ect...

Bill

On 8/27/08, Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@gmail.com> wrote: > > Cross country and back in three weeks? Goodness, I thought you meant one > way! If you want to hit Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon, you won't > exactly be taking the direct route, either. > > I think a plausible amount of time for cross country and back would be two > months, unless you basically only want to get to know any of where you are > during brief breaks from driving or sleeping! > > > Joy > and Matilda, who likes to go slow and get to know the world > > On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM, pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com > >wrote: > > > We just got back yesterday from a trip like this in 3 weeks in our westy > > (see my post from last night). > > > > You can mostly figure out the route we took from the major sites I list > in > > that email, but I plan on putting up a more detailed account on the web > > sometime over the next couple of days. > > > > I think 3 weeks is enough to do a trip like this and really enjoy it, but > > it > > is really a minimum amount of time. Getting all the way west and back in > > three weeks will inevitably mean getting into some of your campsites late > > and taking dinner/breakfast on the road sometimes, which is not really > the > > relaxed pace that most camping trips take on. On the other hand, you > will > > see a million amazing places. We had a great time and a great trip. > > > > Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll post if I get up a trip website. > > > > -Wes > > > > On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM, W Monk <billmonk@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > Next spring we plan on following my wifes parents towing their restored > > > 70's > > > airstream cross country. We will be starting out in CT and want to hit > > the > > > Grand Canyon. Looking for advice on what route,sites,campgrounds ect.. > We > > > don't have any plans yets but will take about three weeks off and > > hopefully > > > thats enough time. Mt.Rushmore would also be something I'd like the > kids > > to > > > see. I feel lucky that they got to see the Old Man on the Mountain in > NH > > > before he fell off. > > > > > > Bill > > > > > > > > > -- > ******************************************************************* > Dr. Joy E. Hecht > Consultant on Environmental Policy and Information > > Email: jhecht@alum.mit.edu > Phone: 1-202-494-1162 > URL: http://www.joyhecht.net > > ******************************************************************* >