Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:48:39 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Who is the Manager of this list?
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Jim, thank you for your lengthy reply. You made very good points.

I participated in about a dozen of discussion groups. The Vanagon list is the only one in list platform. I received about 100 list emails daily on the average. If all the discussion groups were like Vanagon list I would receive 1200 emails daily. This clearly tells why I prefer a web based forum.

But I agree that for people who do not have high speed internet connection the list will serve them better. However, I doubt they could participate in many lists. I used dialup connection for years. I don't think I could handle 100 emails daily at dialup speed. Just imagine to go on vacation for a week and come back to face a thousand emails in your mailbox and you are on a dialup connection.

Almost every time the photos or links in older messages in the archive are no longer there or valid. A web based forum is better in solving this problem by providing storage for photos.

You made an excellent point that if you ask the list a question it reaches all list members instantly. Web based forums can not do that at all.

Let me clarify. I am not asking to change the list platform. I posted an opinion and it was meant to be exactly an opinion.

David