Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:21:55 -0400
From:         Cullen Stewart <cullberly@VERMONTEL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Header bolts broken

I thought about that, but I am going to stick to the helicoils that I picked up from Napa last night. It was the obvious solution and the most talented mechanic that has worked on "Newt" uses them for this application. ----- Original Message ----- From: Chris S To: Cullen Stewart Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:47 PM Subject: Re: Header bolts broken

An alternative to helicoils are "step-up" studs - half is 8mm and the other is 10mm. You drill out the old stud, tap the hole out to 10mm, and install the new stud. Make sure you use the proper tap with a square not taper end. The square-taper taps will cut a thread to the bottom of the hole. Theoretically the 10mm end will be stronger than 8mm as there's more thread. You local hardware store such as Ace, believe it or not, carries these magical studs. I had to do this to a couple of exhaust studs on my old 1.9L engine.