Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:40:59 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Locking rear differential

As much as one might wish to fine tune the gearing choices there are just not that many options inside the tranny. In all Vanagon manual trannys 1st and 2nd gear are machined into the mainshaft and thus are not individually selectable. In the 5 speeds 1-2-3 are part of the shaft and not selectable though there is a rare version with a different 2nd.

A few years ago there was availability of more of the rare tranny internals and thus more choice even if meager. Now little remains of stock of those parts.

By selecting combinations of tire size and overall ring/pinion you can adjust the lowers gears some and then tune 3/4 in 4 speeds or 4/5 in 5 speeds. Tire choices usually mean 15" or 16" rims with new tires, about $1000 roughly. Changing internals inside the tranny means $1500-3000 if you don't include the cost of R&R of the tranny.

Mark