Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:06:54 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help needed: ABA conversion has spark and fuel but won't
              start.
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>

Is the cam/crank/distributor timing correct?

These should line up at the same time:

cam ("OT") crank pulley notch (lines up with mark on timing belt cover) rotor (with mark on distributor body)

Make sure all the engine management stuff is plugged in to the right place.

You're getting spark, so I assume the power management relay works. (though it wouldn't hurt to listen for a click on this relay when key turned to ignition)

If I think of anything else, I'll post.

I installed an OBD1 ABA in my Westy.

Cheers,

Neil.

The Jetta Bentlley is a good source of info.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:25 PM, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello Folks, > > I bought an ABA engine conversion which can out of a Westy which was changed > over to Subie power. I had this in storage > until recently when my 88 Doka blew it's engine. I had a local shop to the > install. Everything pretty much bolted on aside from > minor drilling for the custom engine carrier. The engine failed to start. It > turns over; has spark; and has fuel. The mechanic insists > he triple checked the timing and firing order. He says the conversion wiring > harness has a couple of odd wires which looked like > they were cut but he cannot identify where they are supposed to go since the > harness builder supposedly switched colors when they > interfaced the ABA harness to the Vanagon harness. > > I contacted the party who supposedly made the harness but was told I needed > to identify the original owner as that is how the > specific harness were in their files. Unfortunately, the person who > ultimately removed the engine conversion and subsequently sold > to same to me, is not sure who the former owner was. I got a name which did > not match up to the harness maker's harness. > > Anyway, I can't understand why the engine won't at least start since there > is both spark, fuel and supposedly correct firing order. Are > we overlooking something obvious? By the way, this is installed behind an > automatic trans (w/o neutral safety switch) if that matters. > > Thoughts? > > > > TIA, > > BenT >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/