Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:00:06 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Odyssey batteries
Comments: To: Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@GMAIL.COM>

At 08:43 AM 8/28/2008 -0700, Keith Ovregaard wrote: >That would be the cats meow, but not cheap. I figure you could fit about 256 >Li-Ion 18650 Cylindrical 3.7V 2200mAh Cells under the seat. They cost about >$7 each, so $1792!!! Not sure if they could be wired up to make 12V though. >Tesla electric car uses 6,831 of these!

Just as well they're expensive IMO. They're very intolerant of improper charging regimes, and express their displeasure by catching fire or exploding. They need active charge-monitoring electronics. It's my impression that such systems still need expert engineering and are not at the DIY level yet for large capacities. I wouldn't care to sit on a bunch of them myself. But here's a place that sells them for $9/pr... <http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6979>

As to the 12v, four in series would be nominal 14.8v. A couple of big diodes with big heat sinks (or some fancier but more efficient electronics) would bring that down to 13+ for lighting and other circuits that cared. Or use three in series for 11.7v nominal, probably better all around and certainly less wasteful.

However...256 cells would give 4x64, maximum rated discharge on the cell is less than four amps, so your max rated current would be less than 250 amps, so no good as starting battery (normal rated current would be 30+ amps). Nominal capacity, though, would be 140 amp-hours.

3x85 (255 total) would give 185 amp-hours nominal, 340 amps max draw, 45 amps normal draw.

Either way the pack would be dissipating 80+ watts internally at max draw (plus whatever the connections dissipate), might need some cooling. At normal draw only about 1.5 watts, no problem.

Could be a great house battery for people not running toasters, coffee machines, monster stereos etc. But I can see issues with connections and repairability -- I suspect it would be better to use existing battery packs and/or larger cells.

And I still wouldn't want to sit on them.

David

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"