Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:55:29 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing copper propane lines
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com>

I'm sure the avg hardware store may sell multiple types of flexible tubing so it's diff to answer your ? as is. If you're speaking of the rolled soft copper (comes in flat boxes) and the tubing is spiraled, yes. You have to decide on the fittings, flared or otherwise and transitions from what you have to what you want, which can be as spendy as the copper itself.

The lines are stiff mainly because the more times a copper tube is bent the more rigid it becomes. This is important enough to measure twice/cut once like in carpentry b/c the copper cost is significant.

There is an alternative/s to rigid copper tubing. IMO the flexible, black, propane hose is superior. I've a 20' length and intend to run it from the tank to the fridge and/or heater and also underneath (if there's a safe path) to the passenger side for an external camp stove connection/shutoff. I've had me fill of cooking messy meals inside when it's beautiful outside. I can't give you a pro opinion, only a consumer's view tho'. I used to to industrial fab work with rigid and soft copper a lot and most of my motivation for planning to install the hose is because I expect when I do look for a path across the belly of me van I think I'll be thankful for the greater flexibility of the hose vs. the soft copper.

The one caveat of the hose is you must be more attentive to how the hose may be pierced/worn/heated along the route you place it.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm going to replace the service valve on my tank, and want to replace the > propane copper lines while I'm there (currently they're bent to allow for > the larger new-style regulator). > > A couple of questions: > Is the flexible copper tubing they sell at the hardware store the right > stuff? The lines on my van are much stiffer than this. Is that just > because of age? > > Is there an alternative to the rigid copper tubing? Some kind of > high-pressure rated flexible tubing? > > What I would most like to do, is run just one connection from the tank up > into the van, and then split the connection at that point, to eliminate the > length required by the T-adapter. This because, apart from my longer > regulator, I also have a solenoid shutoff valve between the regulator and > the t-adapter which is connected to a detector in the cabin and shuts off > the propane supply in case of a leak. As a result, the stock t-adapter > protrudes from the skid plate as I currently have it. > > Thanks very much for any help, > Wes >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (Fwd Puke Qualified) '86 Vanagon/Westfalia Wannabe (Savannah) Nunquam Pendite Divendium