Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:07:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket O-rings
Comments: To: Jim Cochran <mxsailor@GMAIL.COM>

the black o-rings at the bottom of the cylinder barrels - I have yet to see any problems ever with those. it's the green o-rings at the top of the barrel that are weak. they get hard, they get stuck badly in the groove, etc. For those, you gotta have good ones there. If you have nicely pliable semi-fresh green o-rings, with careful workmanship, they'll be fine. ( I lube them with vaseline on the outside to help the head slide down over them. )

the outer 'water gasket ' ..........check the gap for that gasket be test-installing the bare head, with the metal rings on top of the barrel of course. The gap there has to be in the ball park. too big and the outer water gasket won't get compressed enough. too tight, and it will pinch and spilt after a while. I measured the water gaskest thickness at 3.5 mm, and figure one half mm compression is about right.

but if you put it together with near extreme attention to small details.............like 'custom fit watch work' ..........clenan things up well, say nice things to it.........and just do maticulous workmanship, you'll be fine.

VW parts departments .........HELLO VW ARE YOU LISTENING !!??........THEY ARE GETTING TO BE A JOKE. EVEN ON AN 87 VANAGON WHICH IS in their computer system...............EVEN WHEN I go there in person to babysit them through the process, they can't find a part. You know what I have to do to really get a dealer part or part number sometime ? - I have to go on the syncro list and email Rennie, who's a parts manager at a major southern california VW dealer - now HE can look stuff up !

but many VW parts deptarments are quite a joke these days. heck, there's one in Canada I call because they are so sharp, and have been dealing with them for near 20 years. AT my local VW dealer..........their parts dept is understaffed, the turn over rate of parts people there is high and they're just not that sharp. Those green o-rings should be hyper easy to see in the VW parts system at any VW dealer. They don't need a book either. the real truth is it's not something they are used to looking up, they have much better paying top dollar jobs the techs are working on .........so that gets priority. I'll be this is true too.........the better parts people serve the techs in the service deptmartment of a dealership. they slower, less smart ones, that's who the public gets to talk to. The service dept is BIG business in some dealerships - one of their main sources of revenue - to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dallars a month in some cases. - they make darn sure no techs are sitting around waiting for a part, or getting the wrong part. But the guy at the public customer window, or on the phone ............is not really very important to them - unfortunately, it would seem, sometimes.

just do really careful work on your head and check everything 3 times, and you'll likely be just fine. I use Toyota black sealant on the outer water gaskets, btw. scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cochran" <mxsailor@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 3:33 PM Subject: Head gasket O-rings