Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:17:46 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: When the O2 sensor cools down...
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

this is probably why the 2.1 waterboxer engine has a 3 wire oxygen sensor, two of which are for a heating element in it. You can easily retrofit a 3 wire oxygen sensor to your 1.9 engine.

the current for the heater element in the sensor can come from the main relay power output, or maybe even from the ignition wire .........on this very nice 83 Westy I'm getting ready to put up for sale.........I think someone before me wired it that way - power source for the sensor heating element is right from the black ign wire at the coil. Possibly not the best, but seems to work. I don't know how many amps the heating element draws but not that much I wouldn't imagine.

well, how much does the fuel injection ECU depend on the O2 signal ? I suspect it's like the top 20 % of fine fuel trim......... since they'll run plenty nicely enough with the 02 disconnected or worn out. Other opinions /theories welcome. I figure it 'fakes it' until a useful 02 signal starts happening again.

it would be a useful experiment for you to compare the performance up and down hills, etc. of a 3 wire 02 with that of your single wire 02 sensor. A single wire 02 sensor is pretty old fashioned , btw. 86 and up vanagons have the 3 wire. all 90's era Subaru's have a 3 wire, etc. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "pickle vanagon" <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 3:59 PM Subject: When the O2 sensor cools down...