Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2008 19:51:35 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: accelerator/throttle cable
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

The new cables aren't that expensive either. I replaced mine and kept the old one and did the clean and re-grease as per Scott's advice. If shooting something in the cable conduit/sheath, I'd shoot TriFlow which I've found for sale at the local Ace Hardware store, bicycle specialty shops, or locksmiths usually. It works great and sticks to the metal it's sprayed on thereby working well on garage door drive systems as well as bicycle chains and all parts moving. Expensive, but worth it.

DM&FS

At 03:02 PM 8/29/2008, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >it's a standard service procedure, in my world anyway, to undo the front of >the throttle cable under the front floor.......... >and remove the whole forward part of the cable where it goes through that >white plastic tube in the van body. > >then I clean the cable if needed, and perhaps spray lube the after portion >through the black outer housing......... >blow out the white tube with compressed air..............then insert the >cable ( from the rear end of it ) back into the white plastic tube, spraying >lube in as I insert the cable. Lube the bell crank at the front too, and >both spots that pivot on the gas pedal.........and re-attach the cable to >the bell crank, and check that full throttle opening at the throttle body >can be achieved with the gas pedal on the floor. > >Every last vanagon on the road needs this simple lube/service/adjustment. or >90 % of them. >Things change very slowly ............ >so people don't notice how stiff it's getting,. They don't drive other >vanagons usually for comparison, and no one drives their vanagon to notice >and alert them. >Same for smoothness of shifting , but that's a different subject. >Bottom line though ..........*every last thing* that moves in the entire van >benefits greatly from lubing , and so easy too with spray penetrating >synthetic grease........takes but seconds. I lube about 200 spots in >vanagons.........even the wiper arm pivots .........even the ash tray pivot >points, the seat belts, the ignition switch etc etc etc. >I don't get the impression many people do this, as every time I get a >vanagon I am the first person in the poor Van's 20 + year life to lube >dozens and dozens of things on them. Amazing what some lube will do in the >right places at the right time ! .........speaking however you want to read >that ! >Scott >www.turbovans.com > > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "David Kao" <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 12:26 AM >Subject: Re: accelerator/throttle cable > > >>My 83.5 has a very sticky gas pedal. It refuses to go always, But >>when it let go it let go too much. I have been wondering what is wrong >>with it. I have tried to grease underneath the pedal with no result. >> >>I suspect that it is the throttle that is sticky. Sprayed it with WD-40 >>and it improved a little but not enough. I checked the cable by >>disconnecting it from the throttle. The pedal feels too loose then. I am >>not sure it is the cable. My 84 has a very smooth pedal on the other hand. >>It is very responsive which does make a huge difference in driving it. >> >>David >> >> >>--- Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET> wrote: >> >>>Just had a new throttle cable installed in my 89 Westy. I wouldn't think >>>that a throttle cable would make much of a difference at all, but oh my, >>>feels like I'm driving a new vehicle. The vehicle is so much more >>>responsive, >>>it's not even funny. For anyone who has a vehicle with over 100,000 >>>miles, >>>this is an upgrade you will really appreciate. >>> >>>Cheers, >>> >>>Troy >>>89 Westy, Subaru E-22.