Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:28:51 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: In Passing
Comments: To: RAlanen@aol.com

Hey Frank, I believe you're thinking of Dan Gurney, who won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with A.J. Foyt in a Ford GT40 MkIV in 1967. Gurney is also the only American to have won a Formula One race in an American-made car, his own Eagle.

The first American to win Le Mans was Luigi Chinetti, the US Ferrari importer and a naturalized Italian. He also won in 1932 & 1934 as an Italian!

Carroll Shelby & Roy Salvadori won in an Aston Martin in 1959, Masten Gregory & Jochen Rindt won in a Ferrari fielded by Luigi Chinetti's North American Racing Team in 1965,

Phil Hill won 3 times for Ferrari, in 1958, 1961 & 1962, paired with the master, Olivier Gendebien who won 4 times. He was World Champion in 1961 with Ferrari.

Phil was a noted restorer of early cars with Hill & Vaughn. He died of complications from Parkinson's Disease shortly after attending this year's Monterey Historic Races.

Rest in Peace

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" Crescent Beach, BC www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27