Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Sep 2008 23:29:14 -0700
From:         Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: John Wessels Glori's Import offering Zetec & Subie engine
              conversions

Don't know why the recent EO hasn't been published. I didn't read about it, but I was "informed" of it by one of my contacts at CARB.

Why can't my customer get a referee to label his AMG? Referees are independent contractors, and all non-essential contracts have been cancelled or suspended till the budget is signed.

Cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: jakiba@bostig.com [mailto:jakiba@bostig.com] On Behalf Of Jim Akiba Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:13 PM To: Jeff Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: John Wessels Glori's Import offering Zetec & Subie engine conversions

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Jeff <vw.doka@gmail.com> wrote: > It's really not that hard... good Vanagon engine conversions are fairly > easy to get certified by the BAR ref if you know the procedure.

That's good to hear, but like I said there is no guarantee, and it also is technically not possible since the BAR also demands that any conversion also carry with it the original transmission as well. Many BAR refs appear to overlook this technicality if everything is done right, and this is why so many technically impossible stickers have be gotten. However from a business standpoint it isn't good to not be able to assure a customer and tell them "well you most likely will get through if you do XYZ and get the sticker at XYZ"

> Additionally, it's not impossible to get an EO from the CARB on an engine > conversion for the Vanagon.

If it is 96 or later it is. Which is why there isn't a single engine swap that is OBDII with a carb EO for any vehicle in CA. This policy isn't written in anything I've ever seen, but submit an EO application and then follow up and you'll find this out just as I did.

> It's all about talking to the right people and > jumping through the typical government hoops. These are the same people we > deal with when we have to certify a new import for California. As a matter > of fact, an EO was issued earlier this year for a Vanagon engine conversion.

Got a link or more info? The CARB EO database does not show this to be true, all EO'd vanagon conversions listed are for pre 95/OBDII engines, and the most recently issued is 98.

> Of course, since there isn't a budget, you can't get anything done in CA > right now. I completed a CA certification on an '05 AMG G55 Cabriolet a > couple of weeks ago and the customer is screwed since he can't take it to a > referee for labeling.

Why not exactly? That really sucks.. it's this kind of situation I want to avoid entirely.

Jim Akiba