Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:20:20 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Me Sad. Trip cancelled
Comments: To: Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@syr.edu>

Appreciate the input and insights Daniel.

I'll be taking a hammer to it today and see what happens.

I considered shaping a piece to fit and welding to the surface away from the hole. And for sure, I agree. A "plug" butt weld would have been a waste of time. I would have over lapped the piece if I had tried.

Thanks for the help!

Neil.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@syr.edu> wrote: > Neil, that rear trailing arm would do it's job if it was 1/2 the original > size (and properly curved/contoured) > but that rust is not new, not even the little spots further opened up. > > Yes it gets a pushing load from the wheel > yes it gets a dragging load from the vehicle (trialing arm). > yes it gets a torqueing twist from road potholes and hard turns. > > and yes I would NOT discontinue my immediate trip over this, but would avoid > rock climbing and curbs > and just drive it easy, more so to ease your own concerns. > > I am not an expert in mechanical design, but I do play one on the weekends > having designed my own rear suspension for my baja bug to allow 36" tires > and a smooth ride > I have put great thought into trailing arm design. and I have less weight > but allot more abuse and stresses > (can't see arms in this image, but can see some work I put them thru, I am > still on my 'prototypes' > http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/269984.jpg) > > as for MIG'ing that piece don't look at it as a body panel 'plug' > replacement > WRAP a repair well past the weakness just like a 'bandaid' > heat it up and beat it to match the curve of the piece, and if you have to > remove some of that ridge > it's ok.. Syncros with ~30" tires have to remove that ridge ALL the time > (own one of those too) > and they put far more stress on the arms.. > > one place that WOULD WORRY ME, that is often OVERLOOKED > the rear spring mount post on the trailing arm often corrodes and severs > from the arm. > this would allow the spring to spit out of the arm that that would be VERY > BAD. > > > > > > > ate: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 19:59:55 -0700 > > From: neil N <> > > Subject: . Whining Content + Warning (PICS)