Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2008 17:38:30 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      poptop fiberglass
Comments: cc: M+E goddard <megoddard@hotmail.com>

Thanks for all the suggestions about the hole in my poptop. Turned out it was well outside the edge of the fender washer - it was further from where it belonged than I thought - and I filled it with a 5/16" bolt, just the size of the hole. Then put in a new hole and all works well. For those who are interested, I got my kit from Frank Condelli - they are assembled, and the brackets made, by Mark Goddard, in Oregon. I don't know if he's on the list, but I've copied him on this email.

Re how it works - raising the poptop with or without the kayak is easy. To pull it down, I have to kind of swing on it. And for the last inch, to latch it, I have to slam it shut. I'm not sure this would work for someone with poor upper body strength. But for a person who doesn't have trouble with an unloaded poptop but wants to be able to lift it with a boat up there, it's fine.

Joy