Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:24:45 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: Re: John Wessels Glori's --- Now: California Engine
              Conversions
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

I don't think it's free. the last conversion I had to a Ca smog ref in Redding ....... it was a fully perfect OBD-I SVX in a Synco Westy ....... the smog ref was new on the job, and didn't want to take any chances ....... he said..........since those headers are not certified KEP ones, I can take your 70 dollars, run the test, and fail you, or we can stop right now for free.

Very likely obd-II zetecs can get through a smog ref on an individual basis, but not always 'for sure' ..........depends on who you get and how they feel that day, and if bosses are around etc. .....

what a fun game ! And funny thing is ..........this is a major major 'ha ha' to me. It's almost like they conspire to force people to be creative ...........it's like the smog refs themselvs recongize the silliness of the official system ( needing the stock trans that came with the engine ..........that's silly, and they recongize that , many of them, fortunately ) .....and they will bend a little where they think it'll be all right. I'm sure thankful for that. But nobody evidently has the balls or smarts to say 'let's make a system that reflects the real world, and is practical and makes sense. Heck, they should make 'only' OBD-II"s cerifiable, if they are to pick any group by OBD level to be 'good'.

and afterall, being government, it's impractical to hope that they could actually be practical about it - they should PAY US to put in later model cleaner running , more fuel effecient engines for gosh sakes, not make it difficult and nearly impossible. But alas, expecting anything practical or sensical from goverment is a lost hope, eveidently.

----- Original Message ----- From: "BenT Syncro" <syncro@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 1:10 PM Subject: Re: Was: Re: John Wessels Glori's --- Now: California Engine Conversions