Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2008 21:02:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thanks! (was: Trailing Arm) + Opinions please. PICS
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

well.............. where 'safety equipment' .........or critical components are involved....... one way to look at is rather black and white. You retire a climbing rope after 5 good falls on it. You retire a climbing rope when it's 4 years old, whether it's been used or not. and so forth. That's the only way to be on critical stuff............helicopter main rotor blades get replaced after so many hours on them, period. Regardless of what they look like. Or maybe the test them and re-certify them...........point is, for critical safety items, like major suspension components..........you can look at it that way. In Germany in the annual inspection they'd impound your van on the spot.

A major suspension component...........well you can tell where I'm, going with this. And I'm not 'hyper' about what's kosher and not - I can get away with things just fine that are a bit iffy...... but .......... the cost and potential cost of abrupt failure of this component ............you could experience instant loss of directional control. It's possible to even kill someone besides yourself .

You have to figure that this rust is the tip of the iceberg too. It's rusted from the inside out quite possibly. Look in by the axles to the inside of the trailing arm .................you might see significant rust there. If it wasn't right next to a forward mounting point...............I might be less concerned. you get my drift. Scott www.turbovans.com just 'get on it' and change that mutha ! rust is so easy to stop too, especially surface rust. it's child's play to stop almost permantently.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 11:13 AM Subject: Thanks! (was: Trailing Arm) + Opinions please. PICS