Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Sep 2008 08:40:16 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <vanagon_dad@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Increased WBX displacement
Comments: cc: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

Most of the modifications Lilley exspoused were just normal hot-rodding tricks. Careful balancing of all rotating and reciprocating masses, bearing matching, correct valve angling and porting, things like that. in smaller displacement engines like ours, the losses due to production techniques can be noticable. A standard 1.9, with no more than correcting -"blueprinting" - back to specs, can gain back 7 to 9 HP. Then the modifications, such as ratio rocker arms, different cam grind, better exhaust, stronger firing spark plugs, can add thier piece to those gains. Robert Lilley was very careful about keeping to VW-specific benefits - that is, putting the work into the places that most need it, because of the basic design of the engine. We have a good basis to start from, we just need to be careful where and how far we go. Co-ordinating all of the modifications, as a package, is importrant. For example, too wild a cam grind, without corresponding upgrades in the heads and induction system, is wasted effort. Many of the Lilley recommendations are going into my 2.2. Ratio rockers are easy, and do not put much extra strain on the engine and its moving parts. Porting is another easy mod that does not lower reliability or longevity. He was very careful to remind everyone that increases in power have a price. Go too far, or do it wrong, and your little jewel will not last for very long.