Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:22:56 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Awnings..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

The EZ-Up type you mention is what we bought on closeout last year and tried on our first trip this year.  Fairly easy to set up and move around and very handy with its screen walls, but we left it up and were surprised by an overnight rain that collapsed it and broke the aluminum framework irreparably.  The original Hummer awning setup we got on closeout from Sierra Trading Post still works okayishly but also collects rainwater, so the domed type is definitely the way to go and that may be what we try next .

Stephen

--- On Fri, 8/29/08, Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET> wrote: From: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET> Subject: Awnings.. To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Friday, August 29, 2008, 11:30 AM

I've had a bunch of different ones on various vehicles. None of them are "bomb-proof". You won't ever find an awning that can withstand every weather situation you may encounter. We've spent about 15 extended winters camping, in Baja, the desert southwest and the mountains and it seems every time you decide.."It won't be windy today. I'll just leave the awning up while we go _______," a huge windstorm occurs and destroys your awning (only the awning if you are lucky, if you are unlucky, it sometimes wrecks your vehicle or the one camped next to you) So my first requirement for any awning is that it is quick and easy to deploy or retract. I will no longer leave one up if I am gone, or when we bed down at night. Lately, I've been using those free-standing canopies that are called "EZ-Ups". The kind with four legs and some accordion-style poles that deploy into a square with a pointed top. You can find these on sale for around $100, they come with a bag for storage and if you find the right one, they aren't too awkward to carry along on trips. At night, you push the four "legs" towards the middle and the whole deal folds up in about 20 seconds. You should always take that 20 seconds to do so. I use some trucker bungees to attach the vehicle side legs to the van's wheels and weight down the other two legs with something else. Most of these EZ-ups have a "Half-mast" position, where you can lower the legs halfway, placing the canopy at about 4' off the ground, yet still deployed. I've used this feature to cover my race car's cockpit. With another person, you can also 'walk the canopy's where you need it. I use that 'half mast' feature in forest service campsites to pile our chairs and coolers on or under the picnic table then walk the canopy over and use tie downs to secure it to the table. Holds your campsite and keeps your gear dry if you take a side trip. If you do have a vehicle mounted awning, it's a good idea to use a 'back-up' method to keep it closed when traveling. Living near I-84 which traverses the Columbia River Gorge east/west, almost every day during the windy season I see a few vehicles with their awnings blown partially open or pieces of awning alongside the freeway. Trusting some flimsy aluminum or plastic hook/latch to withstand what might be above hurricane force winds is 'pushing it'...75mph vehicle speed + a 60+ headwind= 130mph apparent wind...not at all uncommon on interstate 84 here. We still have one awning on a pickup truck that I use a bicycle pedal foot strap to secure in addition to the factory supplied latches. Don Hanson