Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:01:12 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: stereo
Comments: To: "Jack R." <jack007@comcast.net>

I have an older cassette version of a Sony from the Explod series and have really liked it. It's showing it's age now but I've been using it for about 7 and three buses now. Sounds good, affordable, and easy to install.

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Jack R. <jack007@comcast.net> wrote:

> Jim, > > I put this Sony radio into my 84 Westy, and also into our friends 90 Westy. > As you can see from the photo, it is a perfect fit, and a good match. > http://www.flickr.com/photos/77623993@N00/2843132694/ > > The model I put in our friends Vanagon is newer, but still looks the same. > It fit just as well. http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT420U > > You should be able to find it for $100 or so > http://www.millionbuy.com/snycdxgt420u.html > > By the way, it comes with a wireless remote, which fits nicely by the > speedometer, and can change the song from the upper bunk at night! > > You will need an antenna adaptor, Best Buy will charge you $15 or you can > get it on Ebay for $4 http://tinyurl.com/58ztmf > > I hooked up the power leads, and used a circuit tester to find a proper > switch lead by the fuse panel, so the radio would shut off with the van. > You can also wire it hot, so it runs any time you turn it on. The last > option, which I did for my van, was to wire a three way switch by the > on-off > key, so I can turn either tell it to turn off with the van or run when the > switch is on. Not too hard to do, you wire a always hot lead to the bottom > of the switch, and a "on with the key" to the top of the switch... the lead > to the radio comes from the center. You can get this switch at any Radio > Shack. > > Once the power leads are hooked up, you can match up the speaker wire pairs > to the speakers one-by-one. The solid leads are the positive on the > Vanagon > speakers... you'll find the pairs pretty easily. I used a crimp tool to > secure the leads after cutting the wires two at a time. Or if you don't > want > to cut the wires use these... they do take up space however and not as > clean > as a crimp and join. > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97990 > > > The radio sounds find with the factory original blaupunkt speakers, and I > don't blast it, so for me I'm happy. If you want to take up precious > camper > space for a sub, it can handle that as well. > > Lastly, and a feature I use a lot, the radio can read from an CD loaded > with > 180 MP3's, and I have various CD mixes depending on mood and situation. > > All this for $100 or so, you can't go wrong. > > Hope this helps! > > Jack R. > 84 Westy Wolfie > N. of Detroit > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jim Cochran > Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 9:54 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: stereo > > Hi List, > Time to update the radio/cassette player from the original '86 player > to something newer. I'd like to have a cd player with input capacity > for my Sirius XM receiver and my iPod, and a remote would be nice, > too. But I'd like a unit that won't clash with the style. Simple brown > interior. Any leads out there? Ideas? > > Jim C > 86 Westy > 71 Van >

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus