Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:39:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bad coil? Car dead at walmart
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

what I can say is that the times I have seen a waterboxer engine not run............ usually it was lack of ignition. ( like there was fuel pressure and the injectors were being triggered by the ECU )

personally............I don't think I've ever found a coil that just would not work. but I have seen one that would intermittently 'shut off' ............that was on an inline CIS 1.8 Rabbit engine in a vanagon, with a points distributor. It would sit there idling, then shut off like someone turned the key off. Another coil fixed it.

You can ohm check the coil - spec for that in Bentley. I find that coils are 'nebulous' ..............they get old and need to be replaced, but don't often fail outright.

the last time I want I went to look at a buddy's 1.9 waterboxer that just quite on him, after driving 200 freeway miles and then getting to the bottom of his driveway.............I brought the distributor from his other van's 1.9 wbxr engine. The bad distributor was just intermittent .......... putting in the other one fixed perfectly.

but you should have a noid light so you can be sure the ECU is triggering the injectors. Very valuable little tool. Hope you find whatever it is ! Scott www.turbobvans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:33 PM Subject: Bad coil? Car dead at walmart