Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:47:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon dead at walmart--not the coil after all
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

you should ALWAYS remove the distributor cap and make SURE the rotor is turning ............ just in case . and ......Mark's post about the distributor not being well seated............absolutely -do check that.

I had this happen too ........the clamp part was bent from someone overtigtening it ..............I noticed it ..........but didn't think much of it ........... it turned out that even with the 10 mm hex head clamp bolt pretty tight ..........the distributor was still able to rotate pretty easily, and loose the timing. And it'll drift toward 'retard' too of course.

I don't 'believe in' Hall effect sensors failing. Can't say I've ever seen that actually happen. But I have seen no ignition plenty of times. Those wires on the side of the distributor ......... heck, the ground wire for the distributor. Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:18 PM Subject: Vanagon dead at walmart--not the coil after all