Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:25:46 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Question about temp II sensor and bad running
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

If you want to see if it is the Temp II sensor there is an easy test you can do. Unplug the temp II sensor (blue plug on thermostat housing). Then get a short piece of wire or a paper clip and jumper the two prongs inside of the plug to each other. Now start the van. You may have to hold your foot on the gas to keep it running until it warms up but after it warms up for a couple of minutes it should run well. If this fixes your problem then it is your Temp II sensor that has gone bad and should be replaced. Darrell Boehler gave me this trick when I was away on a vacation one time with no tools or anything. I got a new sensor from the local dealer for around $9 that same day and was back on the road. Let me know what you find.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Jim Felder wrote: > I'm starting a new thread on this because I am desperate to get the > van running... wife doesn't have a car without it right now. > > In the earlier threads I started on this subject, I had the car > stranded at walmart. Removed the distributor for examination and when > I went back this morning, it started right up... meaning that > something in the car cooled down and the start was a coincidence or > else fiddling with the distributor connection solved the no-start > problem. > > Then another problem appeared or else there was a related problem I > don't get. The car ran great for less than a minute and then started > running horribly. I barely made it home two miles away with a spot or > two of running great, but mostly horribly. > > I have started it many times through the morning and afternoon. Same > thing always happens: starts great, runs strong, 30 seconds or a > minute later it's stumbling and then it stalls. I can do this until > the engine gets warm or let it cool and try it, the same thing > happens. > > I removed the wires to the temp II sensor and jumpered the sensor > connections. No change. I removed the jumper. No change. > > Ken Lewis has written and says it may yet be the hall effect sensor or > the ECU, but I don't understand how a bad connection or failed sensor > could create such a predictable situation of starting and then running > more and more poorly until a stall. Maybe it could, but I don't get > how. > > Any ideas? > > Thanks for hanging in there with me, > > Jim > >