Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:47:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about temp II sensor and bad running
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

probably no harm done, but I sure would not jumper the temp sensor wires . the ECU expects to see a resistance value there. if you suspect the sensor itself, and wanted to use a substitute appropriate value as a test, that's a fine idea, and get a 2,000 ohm resistor or whatever ohm value the chart in Bentley says is mid-range. or for cold temp, that would be fine too, for testing purposes.

the contact at that sensor too............I have messed with 1.9 waterboxer engines for a long time, only to eventually find the problem was poor or intermittent contact there, although it's a much better connector on the 2.1. and you're sure it was the ECU temps sensor you played with, and not the gauge temp sender ?

I can easily imagine an electronic component, or a soldered connection working fine, then going off once even a little warm. If you were local, I'd say come over and get another ecu to try. There is nothing like having several good test units on hand, for each part.

IF I was concerned about the temp sensor connection and values..............the more definitive way to test it is undo the connector at the ecu, and measure resistance all the way from the ecu connector, through both wires, to the sensor. Nothing has to be powered up to do this reading. but that way you are continuity testing the whole length of wires through the ecu wiring harness, the connection to the temp sensor, and the sensor itself. And if you get a correct reading, you could also wiggle wires while watching the ohm meter, looking for a open or poor connection.

it's also a much faster and easier test to pop in an approximate value resistor. That could get you useful info very quickly and easily. i.e.. if it still 'does it' when you substitute a proper value resistor, it's likely not the temp sensor circuit and input to the ecu.

I diagnosed a clogged cat or muffler once by removing the oxygen sensor ..............that made it run perfectly, as having that hole in the exhaust relieved the pressure from the clogged muffler. Look for simple easy tests like that that match the symptom.

there's this 'cost/likely benefit' ratio scale - there are some tests that you don't think are really very likely to reveal anything, but they are so quick and easy to do ...........that they should be done anyway. Trying it with the oxygen sensor disconnected is one .........only takes a second........... and if things don't change..................that means it's likely not related to the 02.......but if they do change ..........it probably is. My point is............( I like that one guy said check the cheap stuff first ) ..................do the easy tests first.

I think our focus is on the ecu/distributor and ignition stuff. now if you can catch it when it acts up and see what is missing then ..........that would sure help.

well, get her studying the Bentley ! She's got a brain too, right ? and she's the one that needs it working. she could/should be in on this. and........I'm serious........... when I just don't know what else on earth to do .........I'll ask a non-tech person for ideas, or a child........ you never know what they might come up with, that will move your mind in the right direction. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:18 AM Subject: Question about temp II sensor and bad running