Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:57:15 -0700
From:         aatransaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled transmissions better?
Comments: To: vanagonstretch@AOL.COM

The later trannys are definately superionr in strength and longevity. (Even with their 3/4 hub issues.) The early trannys are esentially the same as the 76 vintage busses and made to handle 70HP or some such lowe number. When you add the increased weight and power and torque of a later Van, you get noticebly less life span with an air cooled trans. VW did not do their engineering homework early on and figured the same old part design of early tranny's would work in the WBX's..Wrong. They did however beef up almost everything else inside there and did a reasonably good job of that... Well..Unless you count the late R&P that wears out way faster than the 84-85 version. Daryl of AA Transaxle (425) 788-4070 aatransaxle.com 86 Syncro Westy..Happy the Camper Zetec in the trunk ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerry Lepage" <vanagonstretch@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 4:30 AM Subject: Aircooled transmissions better?