Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:35:31 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trip Report (WA/OR)

"cute chicks DO work at Ranger Stations" always the case! :)

Happy Friday,

Joe OR.

-----Original Message----- >From: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> >Sent: Sep 11, 2008 5:58 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Trip Report (WA/OR) > >Hi all. > >A condensed version: > >http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ccor08trip > >The EP version: > >Things got off to a late start last Friday due to a rusty rear >trailing arm. http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/TrailingArmHole3.jpg >Thankfully, I found a guy to weld it up. >http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/TrailingArmWelded2.jpg Hit the road >around 3 and hit the border at around 4:30/5. Things went well, and it >was off to the races! > >Enjoyed a drive along the Chuckanut (sp?). Stayed the first night in >Bayview WA. Being a Friday, it was crowded (and I pulled in around 7 >or 8) but was quiet and uneventful. As per usual, enjoyed a fire with >some beers. (I didn't drink the fire) > >Toppled out just before 11 AM and made the long trek from Bayview to >Catherines Creek OR for the Wet Westy reunion. Took I-5 (yuk), 90, >Ellensburg, Yakima, dicked around finding 82/395 to Hermiston, >Pendleton, La Grande then Union. "Whew!" Quite a long drive I must >say, and I did go through/slow leak about 3/4 litre of oil, but the >engine ran great. Rolled into CC around 9 and met up with some of the >late night crowd. Chris (last name?) belted out some tunes including >the complete version of Alices restaurant. (!) The other person >playing guitar added her dulcet tones with tunes of her own. (sorry. >Not the best at recalling names). I think I even recall "Rain Drops >Keep Falling on My Head". Chatted with Jim, Phil Z, Bob, Lorne, etc. >Hit the hay at a reasonable hour. In terms of finding the CC CG, I >must say that I should be better prepared with better maps. OR GPS! >Finding CC with marginal headlights wasn't the most fun I've had...... >but..... what a great bunch of people! Really enjoyed meeting them. >Had a good time comparing engine swap notes and chatting with >Jim/Lisa, (thanks for the top Jim!) Phil, (thanks for the SS nuts >Phil!) Lorne, who had a good laugh over the story of my skunky >sousaphone, Vancouver Bernie, Bob (I call him "quiet" Bob..... he >doesn't know this yet.... ), Jason, Rolf, Tim etc. Again, not so good >with the old name recall, and didn't meet everyone, but chatted with >quite a few folks. I only regret I didn't get there on Friday! > >My stays at Barnhouse USFS, La Pine SP, Elk Lake were uneventful, and >I ended up heading toward Salem where I enjoyed a visit with Charlie >and Cheryl. But, I decided to do the long drive back from Salem to >Vancouver that night. Ended up sleeping a couple hours at a rest area >just outside of Seattle. A wise decision. Woke up at ~ 4 AM, made some >horrible instant coffee, and it was back to the races. How convenient >are these Vanagons/Westies eh?! --- :^) > >Highlights: > >Daytime temps were downright balmy, but evenings were cold up higher. >Noteably at Elk Lake. > >In Bend OR, not far after heading in from the south, there is a great >parts place on the LH side. They had exactly the serp belt I needed >(really. why wasn't I carrying a spare??) and have a good collection >of stuff. > >Aside from a family of raccoons (one who was sadly splattered) no >notable wildlife, human or otherwise, were spotted or harmed. Many >chipmunks and squirrels though. I hope I don't have any passengers! > >The Thermarest mattresses helped out my engine "lump". My Eton "crank" >radio fits the bill nicely (though i should have gotten the SW one) I >especially like that it has Weather "channels", it's fairly small, >sounds good and pulls in stations well. > >My fridge stayed lit the whole time, and kept food quite cold (not an >amazing feat given the night time temps) But it was pretty hot on a >couple of days so I figure it performed quite well. > >Barnhouse USFS CG was uber quiet and really nice if you're into the >Pack in/out pit toilet thing. La Pine CG had noisy dirt bike or ? >nearby at 4 AM! > >In the 2600+ KM's travelled, I used less than a litre of oil. Gas >mileage *seemed* to be better than my air cooled engine though I >didn't measure this. Having REAL HEAT was AWESOME. Being able to slam >it into 3rd to boot away from errant freeway on rampers was really >useful. > >Sisters OR is a nice little town, but I errantly ended up buying >alcohol free Becks there. Thankfully, I had spares. > >Stuff I learned: > >cute chicks DO work at Ranger Stations >buy cold food/beer late aft or night then stock your fridge. Turn it >to Max ASAP in the morning. Let the ice/frost gather. >buy forestry maps in advance. Buy good state maps. Check the state map >out before buying it. >read the label (see "Becks" above) >if possible, pick level campsites >if you're tired, take a nap at a rest area. It does wonders. >asking for directions *usually* helps, but again, a good map or GPS is >the way to go > >I had an awesome time. And though there were tiny details on the Westy >as a whole that need to be worked out, the engine ran great, my canvas >patches held fine, the welds at the trailing arm are fine still, the >fridge did it's thing, the terrain was spectacular, the weather was >awesome, and above all, I met some really neat people. > >Cheers, > >Neil. > > > > > > > > > > > > > >-- >Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco >http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Have a nice Day :)