Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:38:17 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator Question.
Comments: To: Jim Cochran <mxsailor@GMAIL.COM>

The real problem with the Vanagon alternator is that it is feeding 50 amp wiring. Then next problem is the poor belt drive design. You don't even get 45 degree wrap on the crank pulley. The stock alternator can deliver 90 amps at 12 volts. The stock regulator will try to maintain 13.8 until things start getting hot. At idle performance will be a lot less. It takes about 1,600 to 1,800 engine rpm for full output to be available.

Dennis