Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:11:45 -0400
From:         A2L1 <mr.a2l1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Replacing the water pump on a 2.1

I have a 91 that started spitting coolant all over the place on a drive. Fortunately I was only a couple of blocks from home. Got it home and let it cool down. Investigated and determined that the leak was the water pump. So far no problem. Got a pump from The Bus Depot, on sale even, and got set to do the swap.It has been three days now because I only do a little every day. When the frustration level goes up of trying to get my big mitts in the little spots within the motor compartment, I just stop for the day. Well today I finally got the pump out after moving the A/C compressor. Not disconnecting it, just swinging it up out of the way. A bungee cord looped through the rear seat headrest is holding it up and out nicely. Disconnecting the cooling pipe from the right head and the pump, all the good stuff. It seems that someone has in the past either removed the pump or has tried to because two of the allen bolts were slightly rounded. Being the owner of a big hammer and a couple of allen head sockets I did manage to get them out. I know my luck is really good and I expect in the future to be replacing this very pump! To save the knuckles and the shock to the neighbors when I get vocal I want to replace the allen bolts that are on the coolant pipes to the water pump with standard bolts. It will be easier to install and far easier to remove the next time but the problem is I dont know what bolts will work. Has anyone replaced the allens with standard bolts? I am not anywhere even remotely close to a VW dealer so just popping in and getting a few is out of the question. I dont know what the metric size is nor how to determine what it is. I figured I may be able to get them at someplace like Advanced Auto or NAPA. I really dont want to put the allen bolts back in there let alone these reamed out ones. I could just travel around with the allen and try to match it but was hoping to save all that time if someone knew what size they were. This is in a for what its worth category. Advanced Auto has the little 90 degree hose with the different size ends, the one that goes to the oil cooler I believe. its the one right there at the water pump. Anyway it was inexpensive and is a formed 90 pressure hose. Figured while he pump was off I should replace that one because it would be a real bear to do later.

Thanks,

A J

-- mr.a2l1ATgmailDOTcom