Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2008 07:59:09 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Subject: Re: "Westphalian"

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:52:19 -0700 From: B <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>

"Heavy-duty Hatch struts".. I need some of those, for sure. I have a Yakima bike rack mounted on the rear hatch with attachments for 3 bikes and 6 spare wheels, makes the hatch a bit heavy for the regular struts. But my "Westphal-ian fix " is a stick. A fancy stick, but a stick nonetheless. I made a nice oak one and painted the ends orange so I could find it in my 'pile' and I put a 1/4 hardwood dowel in one end which goes into a 1/4 hole in the hatch. That way, a gust of wind won't lift the hatch and allow the stick to "let go" and drop the hatch on my melon. That stick is pretty westie. I also have a couple of those 'bucket lid seats' These fit onto plastic drywall mud buckets or large size detergent buckets. One of mine doubles as a Port-O-Potty in dire emergencies ...the other carries a coiled up hose and a real lid with a hole in the top (for the hose) to collect our gray water when in formal camp areas. Those lids turn the buckets into comfortable stools. Magnets: I have em stuck all around my van to hold things up or down. Very handy on the metal uncovered dash of my 84..Maps, notes, bridge tolls, damp socks...anything will stay in place with a magnet dropped onto it. I found a source on the Net when I was having my curtains sewn up (magnets in the hems hold those in place, too)

Don Hanson