Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:40:24 -0400
From:         "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buses by the Beach... getting cold feet Shot Down
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@verizon.net>

Hey, we made it through!

Went to bed last around 1:30AM, woke up in the rain around 9:30. It does make packing up a little more difficult. Usual breakfast burritos we skipped as everyone was a lottle worn out. We got everything packed up an in the bus, then made a mad dash to take down our two awnings. Word from Todd Olson was that Rogue River will flood the campground by Tuesday. (shades of 2004!)

Made the 2 hour run from Belmont, Michigan to South Bend in driving wind and torrential rain. Our dog, Bella, promptly jumped of the blanket I had for her on the back seat of the '79 and nestled on the sleeping stuff in the back, which is her favorite spot. Both buses did great. Saw a white EuroVan heading north on the 31 Bypass -typical no wave. Ever notice that? New Beetles and Eurovans usually just fly by with no acknowledgement.

Anyway the Buses by the Beach crowd managed to have another great time. It was cool to see our little awing city go up. It ws fun to make a home brew run through rain and visit some other little encampment, chatting away the hours and checking out other buses. Craig Cowen's friend Andy wowed everybody at the Chili cook-off with his considerable accordion skills. The guy can really play that squeezebox! Later on, by the brew, he cranked up again and had people singing and dancing. Two cool happenings at the chili cook-off. My brother Chris followed up on a Todd Olson idea to make a small Westy table for Kenny and Sue Roger's to have everybody sign at the campout. We presented the table to Kenny and Sue who are moving to Prescott, AZ, in fact they left from the event to hit the road in their '85 Westy. The other event was Kim Hengert in attendance healthy and alive. Kim was broadside by a Ford pickup on June 9th in her Civic and had a severed Aorta and mutiple broken bones. She stated in the hospital that getting out of the hospital and attending Bus BOO was a major goal for her. She lost part of toe as one of the last effects of teh accident just a week ago, but her and Scotty were there in their new '89. Very cool!

Sorry to say it will take a little time to post my pictures, my 5 year old Sony DSC-S600 gave up the ghost (moisture?) and will not turn on anymore. That camera has been a champ and taken thousands of work and bus pics. I'll have to get a card reader or a new camera. Also, we were watching the ND-Michigan game and left the TV on under the awning to go up to the pavilion for the chili. Came back and the TV was fried out from water dripping through a little hole in the tarp! Electronics and water don't mix!

Buses are up in the barn, now. Mats, carpets, awnings, shadyboy, sleeping bags all hanging and drying out. Popped both tops so they can dry out, too.

But, hey, despite the constant rain, a great time was had by all. You can't keep bus Volk down! Just goes to show, even in the rain, it's always more fun in the bus.

See everyone at Bus BRR at Pokagon State Park in Angola, IN. New date is March 7th, 2009!