Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:12:40 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Winterizing Newbie Question
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

On 9/18/2008 7:18 PM Dennis Haynes wrote:

> What do you really call cold weather?

Fellow who grew up in the Bahamas would call SoCal's winters cold. Fellow that grew up in SoCal would likely call Bend's winters cold. Folk here would probably call Siberia's winters cold. It's a safe bet that whenever someone calls their winters cold, someone who lives in a colder climate will snicker and say, "You call that cold? Lemme tell you about the winter of '37 -- /that/ was a cold winter. [Long story follows with graphic descriptions of failed crops, dead livestock, people found dead feet from houses, Londonesque tales of survival.]"

That said, Bend is a arid place, being high desert, so rust should be no more a problem here than SoCal, and probably less than coastal SoCal. Thanks for the tips on the oil grades. I may want to upgrade the starter wiring, though, so it gets plenty of oomph for turning over a cold engine.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano Bend, OR KG6RCR