Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:42:57 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Price Gouging - Again - It jumped nearly $1 locally

Actually the US gas isn't subsidized - it just isn't taxed enough so it's cheaper than anywhere else in the world. And, what a surprise, Americans drive too much!

Here in St. John's, Newfoundland, gas prices jumped from $CA 1.387/liter yesterday to 1.49/liter today - that would be a jump from about $US 5.13 to $5.52/gallon. Good thing I filled my tank yesterday! ;-) But too bad I have to drive to the US border next week...

And here in Canada Stephen Harper just came out swinging against gas price gougers. Whereupon the Newfoundlanders have called on him to remove the 27% fuel surcharge on the (very expensive) ferry that is the only way for them to reach the rest of their country, calling this federally sanctioned gas gouging.

Meanwhile the Newfoundlanders are all working in the tar fields of Alberta, where the environment is being utterly destroyed as the oil companies frantically extract extremely dirty oil to meet US energy demand. On the one hand, if gas prices go higher people might drive less and this oil might be left in the ground where it belongs. On the other, the higher the prices go, the more financially feasible it is to exploit horribly dirty and inefficient oil resources like those in Alberta. And the economy of Newfoundland and probably other parts of Canada as well depends on that supply of highly-paid jobs in Alberta.

I think we can't win!

Joy (and Matilda, who is trying to get over her need to consume petroleum products and emit greenhouse gases, but without much success)