Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:10:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Stalls Easily when totally cold.
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

auxiliary air valve is one suspect. There sure would be a lot of idle stabilzers sold if everyone replaced them for just broken plastic mounting tabs. it's very 'normal' for them to be broken, but I like having a spare around.

one test to see if the Aux air valve is supplying any air right after a cold start is to pinch off one of the big hoses carrying air that goes through that valve, and see if that makes the idle slow down. If no change, you can conclude ...........probably ............that the Aux Air Valve is not letting extra air in when cold for a faster idle speed. it's conveniently mounted so it's a bit hard to get to. I think they don't seem to do much, but the way they are supposed to work, is that when cold, they are 'open' via a temperature sensitive spring . As the engine is running, 12 volts is supplied to a heater element inside the valve .............and that causes it to slowly close....... so about the time it's fully closed, the engine is warmed up enough to idle at normal speed without the extra air that was supplied by the aux air valve. Always remember to consider and look for intake and air leaks in general. They can really mess things up. The fuel injection system is very dependent on 'air management' in the intake tract, like there can not be any air leaks at all. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "pickle vanagon" <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 6:38 PM Subject: Van Stalls Easily when totally cold.