Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:37:07 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ball joints
Comments: To: W Monk <billmonk@gmail.com>

The press would be nice to have, but when I did my ball joints I just took the removed steering knuckles to a local tire store and they pressed the old out and the new in for about $20. Commenting on the work involved: The bottom joint is the only one that needs pressing, and it has a circular retainer that needs to come off and go back on afterwards. Something about the bottom comes to mind, I can't remember just what, but it has to be put in a certain way so that you don't have to rotate the spindle coming out of it so far that the rubber seal gets torn. Consult the bentley on that, whatever it is it's something you can figure out anyway. The top one comes out with with two bolts. It was not a difficult job and all in all cost $100 getting parts from list vendors. Buying locally would have been a good bit more.

Jim

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:59 AM, W Monk <billmonk@gmail.com> wrote: > I purchased on of those freestanding presses from Harbor Freight. It was > about 140.00,came with arbor plates,and was the larger of the ones they > have. I have > used that thing so many times now it has more than paid for itself five > times over. Yes,its a cheap Chinese made tool. But it works well. Doesn't > take > a lot of room in the garage. I keep a wallboard behind it to hang the > various spacers I have come up with to help press stuff in/out. Bought a set > of > seal and race drivers I hang from that board also. Only once was I stuck > with > a hub that I couldn't get together. I stuck the inside piece in the freezer > overnight and heated the hub up with a heat gun. By doing this I was able to > press the two together with ease. I have done balljoints on > Baywindows,Vanagons,various bushings on both ect... Its a great feeling to > have the tool to do the job at home. Something to think about if you want to > try > and do some of your own work at home. > > Bill > > On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:40 AM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > >> Chris, >> >> Ball joints themselves aren't that expensive, but the labor for the R&R >> surely is. >> >> The upper can be replaced fairly easy, Just some bolts with take care of >> it. But the lower is a bit of a bugger. As I recall there is a tack-weld >> on it that will have to be ground off - that's no big deal - but you >> will need a press to finish the removal job so the new one can be >> installed - which also presses in. >> >> It can all be done at home if you don't mind running down a shop that >> will do the pressing for you. The rest just takes a few wenches. >> >> John Rodgers >> 88 GL Driver >> >> >> Chris Snyder wrote: >> >>> I took my 1987 Vanagon for the Missouri State Inspection and it failed >>> because they said the ball joints had to much play in them. >>> >>> Can someone please tell me how much it should cost to get these replaced >>> as I >>> am not able to do this job my self. Also, what is involved and what is the >>> time to do this job? >>> >>> Thanks in advance, >>> >>> Chris S. </HTML> >>> >>> >>> >>> >